Cable Assembly Manufacturing for Defense Contractors and Industrial OEMs
Whether you need a simple coax cable assembly or a rugged overmolded mil-spec cable assembly, MRO has the capability to manufacture your design reliably and within your budget.
Cable Assembly Experience
Our clients range in size from SMEs to Multinationals, with orders ranging from a few units to a few hundred thousand. Our specialty is providing rugged, long lasting IPC Class 2 and IPC Class 3 certified cable assemblies.
We provide cable assembly solutions for a wide range of applications, from basic RF cable assemblies to more complex and demanding cables assemblies where performance such as signal velocity and other factors are critical for operation.
Examples of types of cable assemblies we manufacture
- Custom cable assemblies
- Molded cable assemblies
- Coax cable assemblies
- Technical cable assemblies
- RF cable assemblies
- Mil-spec cable assemblies
- Molex cable assemblies
- SMA cable assemblies
- Medical cable assemblies
- Test cable assemblies
- Microwave cable assemblies
- BNC cable assemblies
- Industrial cable assemblies
- Power cable assemblies
- Industrial ethernet cable assemblies
- Micro coax cable assemblies
- Complex builds, stringent requirements and material traceability
- Vehicle and Shipboard electronics, including communication, command and control, and weapons systems
Oil & Gas
- Measurement-while-drilling and offshore platform systems
- Harsh environments, high wear and tear
- Vehicle electronics, including data acquisition
- Excavation equipment power and communications
- Harsh environments, high wear and tear
- High torsion and repeated movements
- Flexible cables and segmented design
- Can operate in harsh environments
Cable Assembly Case Studies
Detecting gravity waves – the CHIME telescope project
The CHIME radio telescope was under construction at the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory in British Columbia, Canada and and required specialized cable assemblies with high signal velocity capabilities.
Developing a rugged cable assembly for seismic data
A client had two challenges for us to solve. The first was a torque problem due to the wear and tear from movement during use of the cable assembly. The second was from local camels that had wandered into the area and were chewing through the cable assemblies.
Cable Assembly Capabilities
We can manufacture a wide range of cable assemblies. Below you will find specific details from process and testing to materials we work with. While we have tried to be exhaustive in our listings, due to the ever changing nature of the industry, please contact us if you do not see a specific requirement listed.
Cable Assembly Certifications and Regulations
MRO is an ISO 9001:2015 certified company from SAI Global Assurance for the scope of Manufacturing of low, medium and high complexity custom cable assemblies and wire harnesses, including radio frequency (RF) coax assemblies, power, data and control cables and rugged over-molded cable assemblies for various industry sectors such as Oil & Gas, Mining, Agriculture, DockSide/Marine, Automotive, Telecommunications and Defense. A copy of our ISO Certificate of Registration, valid until September 10, 2024 can be downloaded here.
MRO operates with IPC/WHMA-A-620D Certified Trainers and Application Specialists, with continuing training for all certified employees to ensure compliance with the latest revisions to the standard. We are an IPC Class 2 and Class 3 EMS Provider.
IPC Class 2: Dedicated Service
Includes products where continued performance and extended life is required, and for which uninterrupted service is desired but not critical. Typically, the end-use environment would not cause failures.
IPC Class 3: High Performance/Harsh Environment
Includes products where continued performance or performance-on-demand is critical, equipment downtime cannot be tolerated, end-use environment may be uncommonly harsh, and the equipment must function when required, such as life support systems and other critical systems.
Controlled Goods Program (CGP)
MRO is registered with the CGP and is therefore eligible to receive technical data on various defense articles as permitted under the ITAR Canadian Exemption. MRO’s CGP registration number is CG19448 and a copy of its registration certificate, valid until April 10, 2024 can be downloaded here. MRO’s registration status can also be confirmed through a search of the CGP registration database, available at https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/pmc-cgp/recherche-search-eng.html, and by telephoning the CGP information desk at 1-866-368-4646 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
U.S. / Canadian Joint Certification Program (JCP)
MRO is also certified pursuant to the U.S./Canadian Joint Certification Program (“JCP”). Under the JCP, MRO is certified to receive technical data governed, in the U.S., by U.S. Department of Defense Directive 5230.25 and, in Canada, by the Technical Data Control Regulations (subject to compliance with U.S. and Canadian export and import control laws). MRO’s JCP Registration number is 0081550 and its certification is valid until August 6th, 2024.
MRO views compliance with ITAR, U.S. Department of Defense, and Canadian Department of National Defence requirements as a priority. Its export controls compliance program includes:
- Secured network systems that restrict access to ITAR controlled technical data
- Encryption of all ITAR controlled technical data
- Physical security and access controls at all company facilities
- Management commitment to ITAR compliance
MRO is registered under the NATO Commercial and Government Entity program. MRO’s registration number is L1160.
Cable Assembly Testing and Quality Control
- Pull/Tensile Strength
- Low Voltage
- High-Pot AC/DC – up to 1500 DC and 1000 AC
- Component Value (Resistance, Inductance, etc.)
- Bonding Test
Cable Assembly Manufacturing Equipment and Process
- Semi-automated production process
- Automated and Semi-Automated Cut, Strip, Crimp, Solder, and Terminate
- NPI (New Product Integration) Department
- Rapid NPI to production available
- Prototyping prior to full production
- Testing new designs and materials
- Mold and CNC Tooling
- High Pressure and Low Pressure Injection Molding
- Hurco and Datron CNC Machines
- MoldMan, Morgan and Yuhdak Mold Machines
- Custom Mold Design and Fabrication
- Custom Mold Colours
- Custom Labeling (Stamping)
- All Mold and CNC Tooling is done internally, no 3rd parties.
Cable Assembly Manufacturing Materials
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Polyurethane (PU)
- Thermoplastic elastomer (TPE)
- Thermoplastic polyester elastomer (TPEE)
- Thermoplastic vulcanizate (TPV)
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon)
Cable Assembly Value Added Services
Along with cable assembly manufacturing, we provide a number of additional services that you may require.
Tailored Client Support
We provide our clients with first in class support, tailored to your company’s unique procurement processes. We can assist you with ordering, ECN’s, prototyping, and order tracking and expediting. We have experience working with large defense primes and are able to accommodate documentation validation and other process related requirements.
KANBAN / Stocking Agreements to allow for JIT delivery / emergency fulfillment.
Kits — We can kit your order with any number of extra components, all tagged and labeled according to your requirements.
Reverse engineering of speciality and obsolete cable assemblies and wiring harnesses.
Advisement on design and component selection to reduce cost and speed up lead times.
Identify issues with reliability and performance before production, and help lower production costs by testing the design before mass production.
Custom wrap around / shrink wrapped labels, as well as stamping on molds.